Sunday, July 31, 2005

Hello Americans

Seems I 'm being written about.
Nationally syndicated and picked up by several other places/papers, including the interestingly-named site/organisation 'Veterans for common sense' .
And the Tallahassee Democrat, whatever that is. I wonder if the writer told/asked the BBC before quoting so much of the diary? I never signed a contract with the BBC and I was never paid for it, which I suppose makes the copyright thing rather a grey area.

Anyway. I'd have died if it had been 'kin Republicans, making right-wing political points about stupidly misnomered 'War On Terror', but everything in the article is heart-felt and hopeful.
It's nice to know that people care and that my diary that week struck such a chord. And it was a lovely, well written feature. So I'm pleased really. Just a bit shocked that I knew bugger all about this and it has been syndicated all over the place.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi rachel,

the tallahassee democrat is the local newspaper for the capital of the state of florida. its amazing how your blog started small,and has gotten bigger and bigger with such a large audience.

seth :)

August 01, 2005 5:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blimey. Tis a lovely article tho'

August 01, 2005 7:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want to sound cynical, especially since your blog puts faith back in human nature, but maybe you should check that these people aren't cashing in on your posts

August 01, 2005 11:33 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

11.50pm.
Hello.

It is strange, isn't it, all this massive audience of the BBC diary. Little did I know, etc. I haven't been paid anything or signed anything, or asked to be paid anything, so I don't know who the copyright belongs to, me? the BBC? Hum.

It seems churlish to make a fuss this time, but I've tried to get in touch with the writer and ask politely if he asked the BBC about it, if not me. Actually, I'll send a copy to the BBC. Because however much you 'big up' someone's writing, or exoerience, it's nice to ask if they mind you picking it up.

If more stuff gets copied without crediting I will Have Words. My other half is a lawyer after all.

Anyway. Never mind. Cynicism be damned for now. Cheers for dropping in everyone. I've just had a good session with a trauma counsellor, hwo looks liek a Scottish Tim Robbins, and I'm tired but peaceful. Off to bed, too tired to write. Will write tomorrow, after my dance class. My first dance class since 7/7. \0/ yay! My wrist is better enough to take my weight again.

Rachel

August 01, 2005 11:52 pm  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

This is a great thing. Not only have you given yourself a place to process through your emotions and experiences, but the media has helped to bring blogging to even a greater audience.

~Deb

October 11, 2005 12:14 am  
Blogger Dawn said...

Hi, Rachel. I just found your blog from one of @jonronson's tweets.

Sorry for all you've been through. Am so glad to hear you're seeing a trauma counselor now. Was going to suggest it before seeing your comment above.

You and your fellow survivors should all be getting treated for PTSD and I am quite surprised the police or local government haven't organized something of the sort for you all.

And with regard to the Tallahassee Democrat, Seth's information is absolutely correct. I would add that I know many people from Tallahassee and have never met a bad person from there. I'm sure they exist, but of the ones I've met, they're all kind, caring people.

July 07, 2010 12:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home