Saturday, June 30, 2007

Blazing car at Glasgow airport: two arrested

This week is getting madder and madder ( BBC). I don't know if this latest story of a burning car being apparently driven into Glasgow airport was supposed to be a terrorist attack, or what the hell it was supposed to be. Eye witnesses say the car did not explode, but it seemed to be driven into the airport, at high speed, deliberately, whilst on fire.

I am getting quite freaked out by all this. I now think there is likely to be a terror attack on the 7/7 anniversary nest week; in fact I think we are going to get a whole week of wierdness. I'm particularly worried about Live Earth at Wembley on 7/7/07. Loads of happy people, crammed together, televised live international event, famous landmark, decadent Western music, etc. I don't know what might happen, and I feel anxious. Of course that is exactly the point. General Sense of Impending Doom Time. You don't have to kill and maim people to terrorise them. However, today the West End seems as almost busy as usual, with torrential rain doing more to put people off shopping than the threat of car bombs. I am not changing my plans for next week, or next weekend.I'm chalking the jitters up to pre-anniversary panic and - well, what's the point in playing guessing games?

At Glasgow airport members of the public rushed to help, as they always do. As well as members of the public being 'citizen journalists', calling through eye witness reports and filming the event on mobiles, one man, Stephen Clarkson says he knocked the fleeing car driver down, so police could jump on him, meanwhile taxi driver Ian Crosby, who had served in Northern Ireland shepherded people away from the scene in case of a secondary explosion or a nail-bomb. The news reports that police wrestled with two men who had been in the car, one of whom was badly burned and had apparently doused himself with petrol after leaving the burning vehicle, and the men have now been arrested and taken away.

Nobody killed. Good. Let's hope things stay that way. Enough drama for one week.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger littlestara said...

Another target may be tomorrow's Diana concert. Tasteless as it certainly would be.

June 30, 2007 6:19 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hey ho, well, there's no point trying to guess, because being spooked out does their job for them. I am irritated at myself for my own reaction. But like I said, I am not changing my plans about what I want to do and where I want to go. And I have faith in th eabilities of the public to keep calma nd get on with it: we've had idiots bombing us before and we'll always have them amongst us, and carrying on as if they don't matter, whilst condemning them as the nasty violent selfish criminals they are is the best rebuff and revenge.

June 30, 2007 7:11 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I've just heard we are on critical alert, that a terrorist threat is imminent. My first thought was to turn to your blog. I hope you are ok Rachel. Let's hope they are wrong.

June 30, 2007 9:39 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi rachel,

what a bunch of morons. its scary that the men arrested are doctors-from iraq ( figures)one runs from the car while on fire,the other starts fighting.did they honestly think they were going to get away?

yes this is definitely the time to be on the highest degree of alertness possible,especially with saturday being the second anniversary of the 7/7 attacks. here in the u.s. with u.s. independence day falling on wednesday,many have chosen to take thursday and friday off to make a four day weekend. but again my hat is off to the british authorities for arresting those responsible pretty quickly.

seth

July 02, 2007 10:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home